CCIL has implemented a Petrographic Analyst certification program in response to industry needs. The program requires a certain minimum level of experience and demonstrated proficiency in petrographic examination of aggregates through a correlation program. The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario requires that petrographic analysis of coarse aggregate (LS-609) be carried out by a CCIL Certified Petrographic Analyst.
There are two components to CCIL certification of a Petrographic laboratory; namely, ownership of the required laboratory equipment and employment of a certified analyst. The CCIL Aggregate Type D program provides for the equipment required for coarse aggregate analysis (LS-609) and the CCIL Petrographic Analyst Certification program provides for the certified analyst.
CCIL provides annual petrographc analyst workshops for persons employed by CCIL aggregate certified laboratories. Attendance at the introductory workshop is open with no prerequisite requirements. Attendance at the petrography certification workshop requires attendance at the introductory workshop as well as meeting CCIL petrography certification prerequisite requirements. Candidates attending the certification workshop and obtaining a minimum examinations mark of 75% are certified. Certified Petrographic Analysts are issued CCIL certification cards valid for 5 years.
Reference and Working Documents
- LS-609: Procedure for the petrographic Analysis of Coarse Aggregate
- MTO Form PH-CC-343 for reporting results from petrographic examination of coarse aggregate
Petrographic Analyst Training
CCIL does not provide any hands-on petrographic analyst training required for petrographic analyst certification. It is the responsibility of the Laboratories to train and maintain competent testing personnel and ensure that all LS-609 client tests are done by certified analysts. CCIL certify analysts that are well trained. meeting CCIL certification requirements.
Information for New Applicants (How to Become Certified)
Certification as a Petrographic Analyst is available to any person who has been trained by an expert in this field, carries out LS-609 “Procedure for Petrographic Analysis of Coarse Aggregates” on a regular basis, and is employed by a certified CCIL Aggregate laboratory. CCIL offers a petrographic certification workshop annually, typically in the Spring. Participation in the workshops is mandatory for all pertrography certification applicants, including re-certification. Information on the workshops and an application to attend is provided in the following links:
- CCIL Petrographic Analysts Introductory and Certification Workshops Description
- Application to attend workshops and Petrography Analyst Qualification Criteria Form
- Application form page 1 and page 2 on CCIL “Petrographic Analyst Qualification Criteria” form,
- Copies of University/College diplomas or transcripts,
- Resume describing PN hands on training and practical experience,
- List of projects/clients/contracts/agencies for which the applicant has personally completed petrographic analysis,
- Results from participation in the annual MTO Aggregate and Soil Proficiency Sample Testing Program for LS-609 “Procedure for Petrographic Analysis of Coarse Aggregates”,
- Any other relevant documents that describe the applicants experience, e.g. certificates from seminars and training seminars, as applicable